This castle is located above the Gaulschlucht gorge.
In 1231 this modest castle was owned by Ulrich von Braunsberg, in the 14th century the Mareider of Appiano took over this complex. Around 1492 Braunsberg Castle passed on the the Counts of Trapp which still today own the castle. The circular wall is coronated with pinnacles, inside there is a little patio, a great hall and beside a chapel there are annexed towers. At the front wall of the chapel there are the emblems of Austria, Tyrol and the Counts of Trapp as well as several other frescos. The altar in the chapel has been established in 1660. The paintings on this altar show the Saints Blasius, Valentin and Erasmus.
Metal eagles and the Trapp emblem decorate the chairs in this room. Moreover there are precious relics such as a silver chalice dating back to the 13th century. In 1510 one part of the castle is considered to be collapsed into the deep Gaulschlucht gorge. Braunsberg Castle is located at the edge of the deep Gaulschlucht gorge and is surrounded by high cypresses.
Below the castle you can still recognize the old path from Lana to Val d’Ultimo, with pavers and paving stones. While in ancient times this path absolutely had to be traveled on foot, today it represents a popular hiking trail. Braunsberg ruin can be reached in a 10-minutes’ walk from the road to Val d’Ultimo at Lana di Sopra or a short car ride. As private property it can be seen only from outside.