The ruin of Castel Brandis is located at Lana di Sotto in the south of the parish church.
It is located at 373 m asl and is unfortunately falling into decay. Once upon a time it has been established in three residential units: the stable and farm building in the north, the residential building and castle entrance and the donjon located at the highest point of the hill which, however, has collapsed in the course of time. In 1179 Heinrich Brandiser built the castle complex to the tower.
According to documents in 1236 Pranthoch Brandiser received the sole servitude for the castle complex and established a defensive tower, much younger than the original complex. Around 1500 the chapel has been built, which has been completed only in the 17th century. Also other annexes have been built in the same time. Documents dating back to 1807 testify the collapse of the already fissured tower, which killed Anna von Rutter, wife of the castle administrator.
This accident resulted in the decision of the Count to have the castle residence rebuilt on a hill in the surroundings. According to legends, the tower also drew the curtain over a precious weapons collection. Enquiries brought to light that parts of armours have been found in the rubble.
Until 1807 the castle has been inhabited, later it kept falling into decay. Great hall and castle chapel are partly still preserved. Castel Brandis can only be visited with the owner’s permission. By the way: underneath the ruin there is the Golf Club Lana on the terrain of the Brandis estate.
phone +39 0473 564696